by Carolyn Giffin
Kearns Jr. High
Kearns Junior High families enjoyed a wonderful evening of food, fun, and lots of learning at the annual Math n’ Science Night on January 22. The math and science teachers “sponsored” booths that were centered on math or science concepts to promote learning and family engagement around these important subjects. Some of the great activities were the Estimation Station, What Comes Next?, Test Your Senses, and Shocking — just to name a few. All of the games proved to be lots of fun, while simultaneously teaching and reinforcing concepts from the school day.
Each person received a punch card listing the activities provided by our teachers and visiting outside agencies. After each person completed a designated number of activities or visits to outside agency booths, the card was punched with a stamp. Once the person received a certain number of punches, he or she qualified for raffle prizes and enjoyed dinner provided by the school!
Some of the outside agencies and other sponsors that so generously donated their time to raise awareness of a variety of causes at Math n’ Science Night were:
- University of Utah Engineering Department
- Utah Educational Savings Plan
- Utah Health Policy Project – Affordable Care Act presentation and information
- Salt Lake County Library – Book Talk: Ideas for young and old about math and science book ideas
- Pregnancy Resource Center
- Homework Helps with the Kearns Junior counselors
- Career and College Planning with the Kearns Junior counselors
Nearly 340 people attended Math n’ Science Night and were able to learn new ideas and skills, enjoy good food and prizes, and most importantly, create wonderful memories with their families!