Do you have a free hour or two next week, Oct. 9-13? Volunteer at one of twelve fun projects during our newest volunteer event – Volunteer Action Network Week! More than 250 volunteers are invited to help with a variety of projects in schools, at the UWSL office, and from home. All projects support students in UWSL community schools.
Choose one of these impactful projects, or view the entire list at vanweek.uw.org.
Create Calm Down Kits
- Oct. 9, 4:00-6:00 p.m. (downtown Salt Lake)
- Enjoy hands-on activities? South Kearns Elementary is introducing Calm Down Corners in classrooms as places for students to take a break when they are having trouble focusing. Volunteer at the UWSL office to assemble calming games and activities such as glitter jars and fidget games. Stop by anytime between 4-6.
Foster a Love of Learning at Literacy Night
- Oct. 12, 5:30-7:00 p.m. (South Salt Lake)
- KUED Literacy Night brings about 250 of Woodrow Wilson’s students and parents together for a night of family reading and literacy fun! Volunteer to help with classroom activities, distribute pizza, and give away free books.
Collect Food and Clothing for Students
- Oct. 9-13 (from home)
- South Kearns, a Title 1 school with 80 percent of students qualifying for free or reduced lunch, needs food and new clothing for students. Donate items or host a donation drive, and drop them off at the UWSL office or the school by Oct. 13.
You are also invited for a fun VAN Week celebration for a good cause on Wednesday, Oct. 11 – Pack the Pantry. Enjoy food from a local food truck and drinks at the new pub in town while learning about United Way’s work to get food to kids who need it.Tickets are $10 and include dinner and two drinks. Join us 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Fisher Brewing Company. Buy your ticket now at packthepantry.uw.org!
If you want to learn more about the Volunteer Action Network and the impact you can have as a United Way volunteer, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.